The development of the metaverse presents a multitude of exciting new possibilities for people to connect, play and work as never before. Powering these new experiences will require new types of personal data to be collected and utilized, and it’s crucial that we start working now to ensure that data-use in the metaverse is well-understood by both those creating and using the technology.
With the “Data Transparency and Consent in the Metaverse” program our aim is to co-create future-focused best practices and design principles for consent and control for personal data in the metaverse based on real world case studies. This 6-month program will pair AR/VR companies with leading academics, civil society, regulators and industry experts to explore a range of policy and design questions around user consent in the metaverse and will produce insights and recommendations which can inform the development of people-centric metaverse experiences.
This program presents an opportunity for ambitious and creative companies to work directly with the IMDA, PDPC and Meta to both inform the development of guidelines and regulations around personal data use in the metaverse, and to consider holistically any implications for existing and future products at an early stage. This will allow them to differentiate themselves from their peers as a company striving to create trustworthy products and embed privacy awareness in everything they do.
If your team is chosen for this program, you will benefit from:
- Insights from industry and government leaders, including Meta & Singapore's IMDA/PDPC, as well as independent design and legal experts, to co-create responsible approaches to consent and control of personal data.
Use of the facilities at the IMDA’s PIXEL Innovation Space in Singapore, which features an AR VR Prototyping Lab, a Usability Testing Lab and a 5G test bed.
- UI/UX Design and Storytelling modules delivered by experts from the PIXEL Innovation Space.
- Engagement with a vibrant community of metaverse companies, including Meta and other peers, and the opportunity to contribute our shared knowledge of personal data use in the metaverse.
Expectations for participating companies
The working sessions for the project run from September-November 2022, and this portion consists of 2 Full Day workshops, and 2 mentoring sessions with UX Design and privacy experts. In addition to this, there will be a discussion and feedback session with notable stakeholders from policy, academia and the ARVR and emergent metaverse industry in December 2022, and the publication of the final output in early March 2023.
Specifically, you will be asked to attend:
- Workshop 1: In-Person, Singapore, 21st September 2022 [TRAVEL REQUIRED]
- 2 Virtual mentoring sessions over VC in October 2022
- Workshop 2: Hybrid, attend in-person or online, November 2022
- Policy Roundtable Discussion, Virtual-only, December 2022
- Report Launch, Hybrid / in-person and online, March 2023
If you would like to apply please fill out the form linked here below, the deadline for submitting your application has been extended to Monday 29 August 2022. You will receive a response from us to confirm receipt of your form, and will be notified if we would like to schedule an introductory screening call with you.
Who we are
The Trust, Transparency and Control Labs is an interdisciplinary effort to co-create innovative design solutions that put people in control of their privacy, initiated and supported by Meta.
The Singapore Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) and the Personal Data Protection Commission (PDPC) develop and regulate the converging infocomm and media sectors in Singapore in a holistic way, creating a dynamic and exciting sector filled with opportunities for growth, through an emphasis on talent, research, innovation and enterprise
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get back to you.